Connect me to:
Sauces, Seasonings, and Spices
5 dried scallops
2 Tablespoons dried tiny shrimp, shells and vein removed
3 Tablespoons corn oil
3 shallots, peeled and minced (see note below)
5 chili peppers, seeded and crushed
2 Tablespoons chopped Yunnan or Smithfield ham, (or two tablespoons thin soy sauce)
1. Steam scallops in one cup of water over rapidly boiling water, for one hour. Then remove them from the water, reserving it, and when cool, tear the scallops into individual strands.
2. Soak shrimp for half an hour, drain, then finely chop them.
3. Heat oil and fry the shallots for two minutes, then drain well and set aside.
4. Fry scallop strands, minced shrimp, peppers, and ham for two minutes.
5. Add the reserved scallop liquid, and enough additional water to make a cup and a half of liquid, into a small pot. Simmer uncovered for half an hour.
6. Sterilize two small jars. Divide the mixture, now called XO sauce, half in each bottle, and refrigerate.
Note: Commercially fried shallots can be used.