Connect me to:
Vegetable Hot Pot
Vegetables, also Vegetarian Foods
|Vegetable Hot Pot|
6 ounces bean thread noodles
8 cakes bean curd, cubed
1 pound spinach
3 bunches water cress
1 pound romaine lettuce
1 head fennel
2 cups broccoli stems
1 pound cabbage
8 cups vegetable stock
1 piece of ginger, about two by two inches
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup chopped coriander
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon scallion oil
1. Soak noodles half hour in warm water then drain and cut into five-inch lengths.
2. Cut all the vegetables into two-inch pieces.
3. Heat half the stock in a hot pot or deep pot (an electric one allows use at the table). When it boils, add ginger, coriander, garlic, sesame oil, and scallion oil (made by cooking ten scallions--mincing the whites and cutting the green part into two-inch pieces in two cups of oil until they turn brown, then drain and store in your refrigerator).
4. Cook the vegetables of your choice and the beancurd in the boiling broth until it wilts and is done to your taste. Use strainer-like spoons or the baskets made for hot pot to remove items from the broth. Do not put these into your mouth, they will be too hot, and it is not a sanitary way to share the food, if you do.
5. Replenish the stock as needed. after all is consumed, pour used stock into each persons bowl and enjoy it.
6. Many dipping sauces can be used for the vegetables when cooked. The author recommends her Ginger Soy Sauce.