Connect me to:
1 turtle, two to four pounds, internal organs removed
2 Tablespoons corn oil
2 scallions, tie each in a loose knot
4 slices fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic
2 Tablespoons rice wine
1 Tablespoon Chinese or another hard liquor, eighty-proof or higher
2 Tablespoons mushroom soy
1 Tablespoon brown rock sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch mixed with two tablespoons cold water
2 Tablespoons fresh coriander, minced
1. Remove head of turtle and discard, then wash with running cool water.
2. Bring three quarts of water to the boil, and blanch the turtle in this water for two minutes, then remove.
3. Heat oil in a wok, and stir-fry the scallions, ginger, and garlic for one minute. Add the rice wine, liquor, mushroom soy, rock sugar, and half cup boiling water. Bring all to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer covered for two hours or until the turtle meat feels tender.
4. Remove scallions, ginger, and garlic, and add cornstarch mixture and tir the sauce mixture until thickened.
5. Put turtle and sauce in a preheated casserole, put coriander on top, and serve.