Connect me to:
Stuffed Tripe, Swatow Style
|Stuffed Tripe, Swatow Style|
12 ounces beef or pig tripe, as two equal size pieces
1/2 cup glutinous rice
6 Chinese black mushrooms
1/2 pound dried chestnuts
6 ounces minced fatty roast pork
2 ounces Yunnan or Smithfield ham
4 ounces shrimp
2 Tablespoons cornstarch or water chestnut flour
1 chicken bouillon cube
1. Wash and then dry the trip and cut into two large pieces.
2. Soak the rice in one cup of cold water for an hour, then drain.; and soak the mushrooms in two cups warm water, then drain and discard the stem, and reserve the liquid.
3. Coarsely chop mushrooms, chestnuts, roast pork, ham, and shrimp. Keeping each item separately.
4. Put water chestnut flour on the inside of the tripe pieces. Then mix pork and shrimp, and put half of it on half of each piece of tripe. Then mix mushrooms and chestnuts with the rice, and put half of it on top of each batch of the pork/shrimp mixture. Fold rest of the trip over this and pat firmly but do not squash the filling.
5. Strain the mushroom water. Put the filled tripe pieces in a heat proof bowl, and pour mushroom water on top of them. Steam over simmering water for t
two hours, then serve, cutting each piece of tripe into three pieces.