Connect me to:
Jian Wei are Glutinous Rice-Seame Balls
Holiday and Celebration Foods
|Jian Wei are Glutinous Rice-Seame Balls|
2 cups rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 Tablespoons sugar
1 cup water
1 cup sweet bean paste (do sa)
4 to 6 Tablespoons white sesame seeds
2 cups vegetable oil
1. Combine flour, baking powder and sugar and sift.
2. Add water and mix until dough is smooth; then divide it into sixteen equal portions.
3. Rub a little oil on your hands then roll each portion into a ball. Flatten the ball into a pancake about two-and-a-half inches in diameter.
4. Place one teaspoon of filling on the center and roll it into a ball.
5. Dip the balls in water and then roll them in sesame seeds.
6. Heat oil to 325 degrees F. Put eight balls into the oil and stir them for about eight minutes; they will expand and turn golden brow. Drain on paper towels and serve.
Note #1:I like to make extras and reheat them in a 375 degree F toaster-oven for about twelve minutes. They can go in a microwave for about thirty seconds. But I must advise the editor of this magazine does not like them or any starch product made in a microwave oven as they get too chewy.
Note #2: These are very similar to Wonona Chang's Happy Face Balls, also in this issue. Try hers or these and enjoy one of them for your Chinese New Year.