Connect me to:
Dry XO Sauce
Sauces, Seasonings, and Spices
|Dry XO Sauce|
2 to 3 dry scallops
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 slices fresh ginger
1 scallion, minced
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 cup corn oil
2 cloves garlic
2 Tablespoons dry shrimp
1/4 pound Yunnan or Smithfield ham, cut in half-inch strips
1 Tablespoon confectioners sugar
1/2 Tablespoon chili powder
1/2 Tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
5 Tablespoons chicken or pork floss
1. Soak dry scallops in cold water for twelve hours or overnight, then remove and discard the water.
2. Put scallops in a bowl with the chicken broth, ginger, scallion, and sesame oil, and steam this for forty-five minutes. Remove scallops from liquid, then deep fry them for one minute. Cool and shred them, then mince them finely. Reserve other ingredients for use in another recipe such as a soup or stew.
3. Heat corn oil and deep fry the scallops for one minute. Remove them from the oil and shred, then mince them.
4. Roast garlic, shallots, dried shrimp and ham in very hot oven for five minutes. Remove, cool, and mince well.
5. Mix scallops, minced roasted garlic, shallots, dried shrimp, ham, confectioners sugar, chili powder, bouillon powder, and chicken floss.
Note: This recipe can be stored in the refrigerator in a glass jar; it makes about fifty tablespoons. Chef Leong recommends using five of them when making long beans.