Connect me to:
Star Anise Beef Stew
|Star Anise Beef Stew|
2 pounds beef for stew, cut into one-and-a-half-inch cubes
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
8 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed with the side of a cleaver
6 small onions, peeled and cut into wedges
1 and 1/2 star anise, smashed lightly with side of a cleaver
1 cup rice wine
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 pound baby carrots
additional salt and pepper, to taste
1. Mix beef, flour, salt, and pepper in a paper bag and shake. Remove the meat and discard any excess flour.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. On the stove or in the oven, heat a large heavy casserole, add half the oil, and brown half the beef cubes. Remove them, use the rest of the oil, and brown the rest of the meat.
3. Remove all but a tablespoon of oil, and fry the garlic, onions, and star anise for about half a minute; then add rice wine, red wine, and chicken broth and stir.
4. Add the beef and carrots and bring to the boil.
5. Cover tightly, and cook this for ninety minutes. Add more salt and pepper, if needed. Then serve.