Connect me to:
Smoked Chicken, Chinese-style
|Smoked Chicken, Chinese-style|
2 large whole chicken breasts on the bone, about two and one-half pounds
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon mixed ground fennel, ground coriander seed, and ground star anise or five spice powder
5 whole cloves
1 star anise
1/4 stick cinnamon
1/4 cup light soy sauce
2 Tablespoons Chinese rice wine
1 cup raw rice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 Tablespoons whole tea leaves
1. Rub chicken breasts on both sides with salt and then with the spice mixture. Refrigerate covered for four hours.
2. Bring one quart water to the boil, then add cloves, star anise, stick cinnamon, soy sauce, and rice wine. Then add chicken breasts and remove from the heat. Let stand covered, for half an hour.
3. Mix rice, sugar, and tea leaves. Line a wok or deep pan with aluminum foil and add this mixture. Put a rack over it, and put chicken breasts on it, skin side down, then cover and heat until it smokes. Smoke the meat for fifteen minutes, then remove. This step needs to be done outside or in a very well-ventilated room; preferably one with an exhaust fan.
4. Remove from the pan, and chop the chicken breasts into one to two-inch pieces and set aside for about an hour, to cool.
5. Mince scallions, put on a serving plate, and put the chicken pieces on top, skin side up, and serve, They should be close to or at room temperature.