Connect me to:
Vegetables, also Vegetarian Foods
4 long thin eggplants, about twelve ounces
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon fermented glutinous rice
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup corn oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon minced scallions, green part only
1. Coarsely chop the eggplant, put it into a bowl, and soak in two cups of ice water mixed with the rice vinegar for ten minutes. Then drain well.
2. Mix eggplant with the two tablespoons of cornstarch, the white pepper, cinnamon, sugar, and the fermented rice. Steam over boiling water for ten minutes, then remove from the steamer, drain, and allow to cool.
3. Mix the three tablespoons of cornstarch with the eggplant mixture, and shape into two-inch flat patties.
4. Heat half of the oil, and fry half of the patties on one side until lightly brown, turn over and fry them on the other side until lightly brown. Remove and drain on paper towels while the other half of the oil is heated and the rest of the patties are fried on both sides.
5. Put the patties on a heated plate, sprinke with sesame oil and the scallions, and serve.