Connect me to:
Vegetarian Pasta with Two Sauces
Rice, Noodles, and Other Grain Foods
|Vegetarian Pasta with Two Sauces|
2 pounds spaghetti
2 Tablespoons Chinese Sesame oil
For the Peanut Sauce:
1/4 cup olive oil
3 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 Tablespoons thin soy sauce
3 Tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
2 Tablespoons Japanese miso paste
1 small clove garlic, minced
For the Red Chili Sauce:
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 Tablespoons minced scallions
1 Tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon red chili oil
1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns, roasted and ground
For the Topping:
1/2 pound mung bean sprouts
2 medium cucumbers, seeded and shredded
2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips
2 medium red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
4 large mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 cup chopped cilantro
1. Cook noodles according to package directios, Drain well, transfer to a a large bowl and toss with sesame oil, then set aside.
2. For the peanut sauce: Blend oilve oil with the peanut butter in a small bowl then stir in the remaining sauce ingredients and set aside.
3. Mix all the chili sauce ingredients in small bowl and set aside.
4. Blanch bean spouts in boiling water for fifteen seconds, then rinse with cold water and drain.
5. Toss pasta with vegetables in the topping mix, then in two parts.
6. Toss half the pasta with the peanut sauce and half with the Chili sauce. Serve the two batches of pasta on opposite ends of a platter; sprinkle both with cilantro.
Note: Balsamic vinegar may be substituted for the black vinegar. To roast peppercorns, place them in a small skillet over medium heat and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until aromatic, about two minutes. Cool, then finely grind in an electirc spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.