Connect me to:
Rice, Noodles, and Other Grain Foods
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
5 Tablespoons lard, melted
3 Tablespoons sugar
10 teaspoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Mix flour with half cup of boiling water, when well mixed, add half cup of cold water and the salt. Knead for five minutes, then let rest for half an hour before dividing the dough into ten pieces.
2. Roll each piece into a ball, flatten it into a rectangle, and roll each one into a ten-inch long strip.
3. Brush each strip with half tablespoon of the melted lard then sprinkle it with a teaspoon of the brown sugar.
4. Pleat each piece, folding it backwards and forwards the log way or crumple it together. Roll it from each end to the middle.
5. Heat half the oil in a large fry pan and spread it around so the entire bottom is coated evenly. Turn the heat lower and put five of the twisted cookies in the pan. Fry them until they begin to brown, then turn them over and do the same on the other side. When barely brown on both sides, remove them to paper towels. Repeat with the other five twisted cookies. Serve them warm.