Connect me to:
Cinnamon Beef Noodles
Soups and Congees
|Cinnamon Beef Noodles|
1 teaspoon corn oil
6 scallions, cut into one and a half inch sections, then smashed with the flat side of a cleaver or knife
6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed as were the scalions, then thinly sliced
6 slices ginger, likewise smashed
1 and 1/2 teaspoons hot chili paste
2 sticks cinnamon
1 teaspoon anise seed
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 pounds beef chuck, trimmed of all fat and gristle, then cut into one and a half inch cubes
10 ounces spinach, trimmed, rinsed, and drained
1/2 pound flat Chinese wheat flour noodles, cooked until tender, and rinsed with warm water
3 Tablespoons minced scallions
1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat, then add oil and heat 30 seconds more.
2. Add scallion sections, garlic, ginger, and stir-fry until fragrant, about fifteen seconds.
3. Add eight and a half cups of water, soy sauce, and beef cubes and bring to the boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for one and a half hours.
4. Uncover, remove ginger and cinnamon sticks and discard them.
5. Add spinach and return to the boil. Immediately thereafter, divide the noodles into six individual bowls and ladle the meat, spinach and broth over them. Sprinkle with the minced scallions, and serve.