Connect me to:
Pigeon with Tea Leaves
|Pigeon with Tea Leaves|
1 one-pound pigeon
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 slices fresh ginger, peeled
1/2 a scallion, slivered
5 Tablespoons thin soy sauce
5 Tablespoons dark soy sauce
5 Tablespoons sugar
1 cup chicken broth
1 Tablespoon Chinese rice wine
4 Tablespoons Long Jing tea leaves
3 Tablespoons dried chrysanthemums
1. Bring large pot of water to the boil, immerse pigeon for one minute, remove and drain.
2. Heat wok, add oil and stir-fry ginger and scallions for half a minute, add both thin and dark soy sauces, sugar, stock, and one-quarter cup of water.
3. Bring to the boil, add the pigeon, cover, and reduce the heat. Simmer for twelve minutes, turn pigeon over and re-cover, and simmer another twelve minutes. Remove pigeon and set aside. Reserve the liquid, ten clean and dry the wok.
4. Line wok with aluminum foil, and add tea leaves, chrysanthemums, brown sugar, and a quarter-cup water. Let these ingredients sit for five minutes, then put rack in wok and set the pigeon on it. Heat until it starts to smoke then cover the wok tightly, and let pigeon smoke for five minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
5. Remove the pigeon, chop it into two-inch pieces, and put them on a platter. Reheat sauce and serve in a pitcher on the side.