Connect me to:
Sugared Haw Fruits
Fruits, Desserts, and Other Sweet Foods
|Sugared Haw Fruits|
4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup clear corn syrup
1 teaspoon ground Chinese cassia or cinnamon
1 teaspoon red food coloring, if desired
40 fresh haw fruit, stems twisted off, washed and dried
8 skewers, about three to four inches in length
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon superfine or bar sugar
1. In a large pot, about six inches in diameter, bring a cup of water to the boil, add sugar, and syrup, reduce the heat and simmer until sugar is completely dissolved. Add cassia and the food coloring, if used, and stir for about five minutes. This liquid should be boiling. Test a small ball of it dropped from a spoon into a bowl of cold water. It should make a fine thread when dropped into that bowl of cold water.
2. Oil a flat plate and set aside.
3. Insert a skewer through each five haw or crab apple fruits.
4. Dip each skewer in the syrup, hold until all excess syrup drains off, and set on the oiled plate. Repeat until all are dipped, drained, and set aside.
5. Put bar sugar in a strainer, and sprinkle the sugar over the fruits, turn once and repeat so all sides are sugared on the outside. Set aside until cooled and serve or refrigerate if not using until the next day.