Connect me to:
Fruits, Desserts, and Other Sweet Foods
1 cup glutinous rice, soaked overnight or for at least three hours in two cups of cold water
1 Tablespoon chicken fat, butter, or vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 piece candied papaya or another flat fruit
1/2 cup canned lotus seeds
1/4 cup Chinese dates, raisons or any dried fruit
1 Tablespoon honey
1 pound canned red bean paste
1 teaspoon almond extract
1. Steam rice over boiling water for half an hour.
2. Mix it with half the fat, and use the other half to grease a heat-proof bowl.
3. Take a few pieces of the papaya and the lotus seeds and place them in a pattern at the base of the bowl.
4. Mix any left over diced candied papaya with the other dried fruit or raisons with the sugar and the honey and the lotus seeds, then stir into the rice. Put half the rice in the bowl being careful not to dislodge the pattern of the papaya and lotus seeds. Then put the red bean paste evenly over the rice, but do not put any on the outer quarter-inch of rice. Next, put the rest of the rice on this paste over the bean paste; be sure to put it to the edge of rice.
5. Steam rice mixture for half an hour, then remove from the steamer and turn rice mixture over onto a clean serving plate. Serve hot or warm, as desired.