Connect me to:
Stuffed Red Dates with Glutinous Rice Cake
Fruits, Desserts, and Other Sweet Foods
|Stuffed Red Dates with Glutinous Rice Cake|
30 Chinese red dates, soaked in cold water for half an hour
2 Tablespoons soft wheat powder
1/2 cup rice powder
1/2 teaspoon gui hua jam or any marmalade
3 Tablespoons yellow rock sugar or light brown sugar
2 cups vegetable oil
1. Cut soaked dates in half, remove and discard their pits.
2. Mix wheat powder with one tablespoon boiling water, stirring well, then adding the rice powder and tablespoon by tablespoon until a thick well-mixed dough forms. Then cover with a wet towel and set aside for ten minutes.
3. Mix sugar with one-quarter cup water, and let it sit for ten minutes, then bring it to the boil in a small pot, and then stir in the jam.
4. Divide the rice powder mixture into thirty pieces and gently roll each piece into a soft ball, and put the pieces of one date on either side of it; repeating until all are stuffed, and set aside on a heat-proof plate.
5. Steam over boiling water for fifteen minutes, remove from steamer, and drain off any water on the plate, before pouring sugar syrup over the dates, and serving them.