Read 5256867 times
Connect me to:
Autumn Olive Jam
Fruits, Desserts, and Other Sweet Foods
|Autumn Olive Jam|
8 cups ripe Autumn olive fruits (yields about four cups juice)
4 cups granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1. Rinse berries, and be sure to remove leaves and stems
2. Put whole berries in a large pot and add about half inch of water. Simmer for half an hour or until the individual fruits are soft and the pit can easily be removed.
3. Stir a small amount of fruit through a food mil discarding the pits and setting the juice aside until all fruit is processed this way.
4. Next, seive the mashed fruit through a fine strainer. You will need a large spoon to press out all the juice.
1. Measure four cups of juice and put it in a heavy pot that has a thick bottom. Then add an equal amount of sugar and the lemon juice.
2. Simmer on low heat until the mixture thickens; this takes about one hour or more. Skim off any foam as it is cooking.
3. When at the desired consistency, pour into strilized jars and let cool. Use a funnel or you'll need to wipe any jam that drips on the edges or sides of the jars. Seal the jars and cool out of a draft.
4. If using commercial canning/jam jars, you should do the above filling process following their guidelines; if you do, the jam is shelf stable. If you do not have or want to use such equipemtn, refrigerate the jam when cool.
Note: The juice can be frozen for later use, though I don't.