Read 5260533 times
Connect me to:
Bamboo Pith with Bean Curd
Vegetables, also Vegetarian Foods
|Bamboo Pith with Bean Curd|
12 whole bamboo piths
6 bamboo piths that can be broken, cut, or otherwise not whole
3 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and minced fine
2 scallions or several large chives or garlic shoots, minced fine
6 Tablespoons frozen peas, defrosted and slightly mashed
2 Tablespoons oyster sauce
1 Tablespoon cornstarch mixed with one tablespoon cold water
salt and white pepper, to taste
1 cup chicken stock
1 Tablespoon light soy sauce
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon hoisin sauce
2 Tablespoons cornstarch mixed with two tablespoons cold water
1 cup any steamed or cooked greens (i.e.: spinach, tops of bok choy, etc.)
1. Soak both sets of bamboo pith for twenty minutes, then drain and mince the broken ones.
2. Make the stuffing by mixing the shiitake mushrooms, scallions and or other greens, peas, and oyster sauce, and finally the cornstarch mixture.
3. Fill the whole bamboo pith pieces with the stuffing. A pastry bag without a tube at the end works very well, and set aside for ten to fifteen minutes.
4. Heat water to boiling in a steamer and put the filled piths decoratively around the outside of a heat-proof plate that is at least one inch deep. Steam them for five minutes, then remove the plate and its contents.
5. Bring the stock, light soy sauce, sesame oil, and hoisin sauce to the boil. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and continue stirring until the sauce clears.
6. Put the greens in the center of the bamboo piths amd por the boiling sauce over them and the pieces of stuffed pith. Serve immediately.