Read 5257003 times
Connect me to:
Ginger Yam Rolls
Fruits, Desserts, and Other Sweet Foods
|Ginger Yam Rolls|
3 Tablespoons granulated or crushed Chinese slab sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 Tablespoon preserved ginger, diced fine
1 Tablespoon pickled ginger, diced fine
2 pounds yam, peeled, steamed until soft, and mashed
1 Tablespoon finely crushed walnuts
24 spring roll sheets
1 egg white, lightly beaten but still liquid
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup condensed milk
1. Put sugar and evaporated milk in a small pot, and bring to the boil, then remove the pot from the heat source.
2. Mix mashed yam with the walnuts and pour this sugar mixture into the yam mixture slowly incorporating it. When all is mixed in, refrigerate until cool.
3. Put two to three tablespoons of the yam mixture on one point of a spring roll sheet. Fold in the left and right edges as if making an egg roll, making each fold about two inches wide. Wet the last point just a bit to seal, flatten the roll, and set it aside, seam side down on a dry plate. Make the rest of the rolls, one by one.
4. Heat half the oil in a large fry pan, and fry half the rolls until crisp on one side, turn them over and fry until crisp on the other, then remove and drain each one on paper towels. Put the rolls on a serving platter when done and fry the rest of them and do likewise, then serve.
5. Put the condensed milk in two small monkey dishes which are also known as dessert saucers, and serve as a dipping sauce.