Read 6251286 times
Connect me to:
Shrimp with Egg Whites
|Shrimp with Egg Whites|
10 shrimp, their shells and veins removed and discarded
1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
3 egg whites, beaten until a soft foam
1 Tablespoon cornstarch mixed with one tablespoon of all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon sugar
10 cilantro leaves
1 Tablespoon cornstarch mixed with one tablespoon cold water
1. Mix shrimp and salt and set aside for fifteen minutes.
2. Coat ten ceramic Chinese soup spoons with oil. Then fold the egg whites with cornstarch and flour mixture and fill the ceramic spoons.
3. In a medium-size pot or deep fry pan large enough to hold the ceramic spoons in a single layer, add half inch of water and the vinegar and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, then carefully add the filled soup spoons keeping them level.
4. Using a wet spatula, smooth the tops of the egg white mixture and gently place a shrimp on each one. Simmer them for four minutes, remove, and slide the egg white mixture onto a clean flat plate.
5. While they are simmering, put chicken stock in a large pot and be sure it is no more than half-inch deep. Add the sugar and stir, then slide the poached egg whites in, shrimp side up. Put a cilantro leaf on each shrimp, stir in the cornstarch and water mixture and raise the temperature to the boil. Gently stir until slightly thickened, then lift the egg and shrimp onto a platter, shrimp side up. Pour the thickened sauce over and around them, and serve.