Read 5257498 times
Connect me to:
Steamed Sponge Cake Squares
|Steamed Sponge Cake Squares|
6 eggs, separated
1 and 1/4 cups sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1 and 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
a nine-inch square pan lined with waxed paper on its bottom and sides
1. In a dry and clean bowl, beat egg whites until they hold firm peaks but are not dry and set aside.
2. In another clean dry bowl, sift the flour and the baking powder, add the yolks one at a time beating each one well. Then add the sugar and two tablespoons cold water, and beat again before adding the vanilla.
3. Beat once more, then gently fold in half the egg white, then add the remaining ones in two batches, folding each batch in gently.
4. Put into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a wet knife. Then put the pan on a steaming rack over boiling water and steam twenty-five minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the foam comes out clean.
5. Remove the pan from steamer and set on a rack to cool. When warm or cool, cut it into two-inch squares and remove them to a serving platter. This can be served warm or cool.