Read 5268825 times
Connect me to:
Duck and Dried Chestnut Casserole
|Duck and Dried Chestnut Casserole|
1 pound dried chestnuts, soaked overnight, or one pound roasted chestnuts, peeled
1 whole four- to five-pound duck, chopped into two-inch pieces
1/4 cup thin soy sauce
2 Tablespoons scallion juice
2 Tablespoons ginger juice
3 cups vegetable oil
1/4 cup Chinese rice wine
2 Tablespoons mushroom soy sauce
2 Tablespoons Chinese brown slab sugar, crushed
1 cup chicken stock
1. Simmer the soaked fresh chestnuts for forty minutes the roasted ones for ten minutes, then drain and discard the liquid, then set the chestnuts aside.
2. Marinate the duck pieces in the soy sauce, scallion, and ginger juices in the refrigerator overnight sealed in a plastic bag. When ready to cook, drain and reserve the marinade.
3. Heat oil in a wok or deep pan and deep fry the duck, stirring frequently, until the pieces are golden brown. Then drain and set aside. Reserve the oil for another use, straining immediately, and refrigerating until needed.
4. In a casserole, add the prepared chestnuts, and the fried pieces of duck. Stir the remaining marinade with the rice wine, the mushroom soy sauce, brown sugar, and stock, and pour over the chestnuts and duck pieces, and stir well.
5. Cover the casserole and simmer for forty-five minutes, remove from the heat, and when warm, refrigerate overnight.
6. Remove casserole from the refrigerator one hour before reheating. Stir once or twice, reheat the casserole slowly until it reaches a boil, stir for one minute, then serve.