Read 5268730 times
Connect me to:
Braised Dong Po Pork, Hangzhou Style
|Braised Dong Po Pork, Hangzhou Style|
2 pounds whole piece raw pork
10 shallots, each one peeled and cut in half
6 slices fresh ginger, peeled
3 Tablespoons dark soy sauce
3 Tablespoons crushed brown slab sugar
3 Tablespoons Shao Xing or another Chinese rice wine
1. Boil pork covered with cold water for fifteen minutes then discard the water, and cut the pork into two- to three-inch cubes.
2. Put cubes of pork, skin-side down, with half the shallots, half the slices of ginger, the soy sauce, brown sugar, and the wine into a clay pot. Top with the rest of the shallots and ginger, stir the liquid, and cover the clay pot.
3. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, and simmer for ninety minutes. Then transfer to a clean clay pot that fits into a large steamer, and cover it.
4. Steam the covered clay pot over boiling water for another hour, then cool and refrigerate the pork squares until needed.
5. Reheat as many of the pork squares needed covered in the sauce until heated through. Then serve, each in a small casserole, and return any sauce to those in the refrigerator, until needed.