Read 5256886 times
Connect me to:
Baozi with Cabbage, Beetroot, and Ginger
Dim Sum and Other Snack Foods
|Baozi with Cabbage, Beetroot, and Ginger|
2 packets active dry years (six grams each)
1 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar plus one more teaspoon
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 and ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 cup finely chopped cabbage
1 cup finely chopped beetroot
1 knob fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice wine
1. Dissolve the yeast in one cup warm water, then add the flour, three tablespoons of sugar, and the oil.
2. Knead until smooth, then let this dough rest for an hour or until double in size.
3. Now flatten it with a rolling pin and sprinkle the baking powder on top and fold it in two and then knead it again until smooth and all the baking powder has been worked into the dough.
4. Divide the dough into eighteen parts and make each one into a ball and let it rest for half an hour until they are larger.
5. Blanch the cabbage in boiling water, and drain it and mix it with the beetroot, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, the teaspoon of sugar, and the rice wine. Flatten each dough ball, put it in your hand and put one heaping tablespoon of the filling in its center., bring the edges together and pleat them, and again let them rest for half an hour on a small square of parchment paper on a steamer basket.
6. Bring water to the boil in a steamer, put the baozi in their basket and steam them for ten minutes. Remove and serve them hot, each person removing the paper under theirs before eating it.