Read 5244652 times
Connect me to:
Xuehua Taoni for Many a Festival
Holiday and Celebration Foods
|Xuehua Taoni for Many a Festival|
½ pound stale bread, cubed and soaked in cold water for one minute, then squeezed of its excess water
4 egg whites
½ to 3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons walnuts, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup melted lard
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons candied squash, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons candied tangerine peel, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons candied Chinese dates, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh Chinese green olives, pits removed, their pulp finely chopped
1 Tablespoon crystallized rose petals (optional)
1. Before beginning, set aside a tablespoon of the nuts and candied fruits for garnish.
2. In a large bowl, beat two egg whites until frothy, then mix them with the bread.
3. Next, heat the oil just until warm, then add the walnuts and stir-fry for one minute, then drain.
5. In a clean bowl, beat the other two egg whites until stiff and set them aside.
6. Now stir-fry the bread mixture until crisp, then add the sugar and other fruits and nuts stir-frying for one minute longer then slide this mixture onto a serving plate shaping it into a flat oval looking like a platter.
7. Spoon the stiff egg whites on top, and decor with the reserved garnish; then serve immediately cutting this into small serving pieces.