Read 5249031 times
Connect me to:
1 cleaned 7 to 9 pound goose
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
10 slices smashed fresh ginger
1 teaspoon crushed white peppercorns
3-inch cinnamon stick, crushed
5 star anise, coarsely crushed
5 whole 1 head garlic, smashed
5 Tablespoons red rice
10 scallions, each cut in four
3 red chili peppers, cut in half and seeded
10 red dates, pits discarded
5 whole cloves
½ cup thin soy sauce
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1. Put the goose in boiling water and simmer it for ten
minutes, half of each end in a pot of the boiling water, if
need be. Dry the goose with paper towels inside and out.
2. Rub salt and ground black pepper in the cavity, then
set the bird aside for fifteen minutes.
3. Mix ginger, crushed white peppercorns, crushed stick
cinnamon, crushed garlic, red rice, scallions, red chilies,
and red dates in two cups of water and bring this to the
boil, and simmer each end of the goose for ten minutes,
then remove it from the liquid and dry it again with
paper towels inside and out.
4. Now, put the bird on a rack on a roasting pan in a 400
degree F oven for one and a half hours, then strain the
liquid reserving the solids for another recipe.
5. Brush the bird with a mixture of thin soy sauce, sugar,
salt, and sesame oil and let it cool for half an hour.
6. Then chop it into two- to three-inch pieces, and put
them on a platter and serve.
Note: If using this method to make a duck, only roast it
for half the time.