Read 5268701 times
Connect me to:
Cantonese Scallion Chicken
|Cantonese Scallion Chicken|
1 fryer (chicken should be about 2½ pounds)
3 scallions, minced
5 slices of ginger 9each about 1/8 inch thick), chopped
2 Tablespoons dry sherry or Chinese cooking wine
2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
3 scallions, split in half then cut into two-inch pieces
1/3 cup thinly shredded ginger
1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1. Clean the chicken, dry with paper towels, and place it in a bowl.
2. Mix minced scallions and ginger with sherry or wine, and the salt, then pour this mixture over the chicken.
3. Rub the chicken inside and out with the mixture and marinate it for one hour.
4. Bring water in a steamer to the boil, Place the bowl with the chicken in the steamer. Steam over boiling water for fifteen minutes, turn off the heat and leave the chicken in the steamer, with the cover on, for another fifteen minutes.
5. Remove the chicken from the bowl and save the broth. Cut the chicken into one by two inch to two and a half inch pieces and arrange them nicely on a platter.
6. Sprinkle evenly with the scallion pieces and shredded ginger.
7. In a saucepan, heat oil until very hot and pout it over the chicken. Repeat this procedure once more by pouring the oil from the chicken back in the pan, reheating it, and then pouring it over the chicken a second time.
8. Transfer the broth to a pan, heat and thicken with cornstarch mixture, then serve.
Note: This recipe is Cantonese, that is from the Guangdong Province.