Read 5241822 times
Connect me to:
Homemade Hoisin Sauce
Sauces, Seasonings, and Spices
|Homemade Hoisin Sauce|
1 cup red azuki beans
2 Tablespoons any vegetable or corn oil
2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and minced
4 dry chili peppers
½ cup unsweetened red bean paste (optional) or any canned light-colored beans
1 teaspoon coarse salt
2 Tablespoons dark soy sauce
3 Tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1. Discard all broken or discolored beans, then rinse the
others, and simmer in four cups of cold water for two
hours. Then allow them to cool.
2. Next, put them in a food processor and process them
until all are fine, the transfer them to a clean glass jar
and refrigerate or freeze until needed.
3. If needed, defrost the cooked adzuki beans and have
them ready for use. Put the garlic and peppers in a
small saucepan and stir-fry for two minutes until the
garlic browns slightly, then remove and discard the
peppers and stir in the bean paste or its substitute.
4. Next, add the salt, soy sauce, and three tablespoons
of water. Stir well, and simmer on low heat for half an
hour. Then again put the contents into a food processor
and blend until smooth, wipe the tops of the jars and
covers clean, and seal them.
5. Now put the jars in a boiling water bath for ten
minutes, let them then cool to room temperature, then