Read 5249041 times
Connect me to:
Ayam Buah Keluak is a chicken dish
|Ayam Buah Keluak is a chicken dish|
1 chicken (about three pounds), cut into eigths
20 buah keluak also known as pangi tree seeds
3 and 1/2 ounces lean ground pork
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 piece galangal root (about three-quarters on an ounce), minced
1 piece (about one and a quarter inch piece) fresh tumeric root, peeled and chopped or one tablespoon tumeric
6 candlenuts, chopped
10 fresh chili peppers, sliced into rings
7 ounces shallots, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon shrimp paste
juice made form eight ounces of tamarind pulp
1 stem lemon grass, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons oil
1. Thoroughly scrub the pangi tree seeds and soak in water for twenty-four hours, changing the water frequently. Then, slice off the broad end of the seed and remove the kernel with a fork. Save the shells.
2. Mash the kernels with the fork, add the pork, two teaspoons of sugar and a little salt and knead well.
3. Fill the shells with the mixture and reserve.
4. Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the galangal, tumeric, candlenuts, chili peppers , shallots and shrimp paste until the flavors have fully developed and oil seeps out.
5. Add the chicken pieces, pangi tree seeds, lemongrass, the remaining sugar and salt and stir well; then add the tamarind juice and four cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for thirty minutes, then serve.